Why did the ‘Independent Review of NHS Hospital Food’ take place?
In the summer of 2019, there was an outbreak of listeriosis in which seven patients tragically died after eating hospital sandwiches contaminated with Listeria. Following this, the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, announced a review which he declared would be “root and branch” to look at all food served and sold in hospitals. The review would include the safety, nutrition, quality, and production methods of food for patients, staff and visitors in NHS hospitals.
Who was part of the review panel?
The review was Chaired by Philip Shelley, Deputy Head of Facilities for Taunton & Somerset NHS Foundation Trust, supported by Independent Advisor Prue Leith CBE and supported by a panel of experts from NHS England, the British Dietetic Association, Food Standards Agency, Department of Health & Social Care, the Soil Association & the Hospital Catering Association.
Pelican were proud to be involved and share our expertise
As part of the Independent Review, the panel visited hospitals across the country. St Thomas’ Hospital in London formed part of their selection, and Pelican were invited to present on our procurement solution and the added value we offer to the Trust.
The recommendations of the review were delayed due to the impact of COVID-19, but were announced in October 2020.
The panel emphasised the importance of the NHS caring for staff as much as for patients – and they reported that the best hospitals served the same food to everyone in the hospital.
The recommendations from the review were broken into the following areas:
- Catering Staff Support
- Nutrition & Hydration
- Food Safety
- Enforcing Standards
- Sustainability & Waste
- Going forward
How can Pelican help NHS Trusts?
Our experienced procurement managers can work collaboratively with NHS Trusts and become an extension of catering teams, bringing expertise and supporting Trusts to meet the recommendations of the review. Our team are actively engaged and working together with several NHS Trusts on a number of projects including:
Food safety within the supply chain
Our procurement team ensure NHS trusts are compliant with the latest legislations and standards. Our procurement managers work closely with catering and food safety teams to ensure contracts capture the detail required, to provide confidence, simplify and improve reporting and ultimately enhance food safety.
Facilities upgrade with new commercial equipment
Our equipment expert, Joanna Leech, is providing impartial in-depth advice with regards to upgrading and integrating new equipment to help NHS sites to modernise and enhance their catering facilities.
Technology delivering efficiencies
Our in-house developers have built an advanced cloud-based technology system – Pi. The Pi system is available as part of our service offering on a self-funded basis, helping the NHS with:
- Digital Meal Ordering
- Allergen & Nutritional Legislations
- Menu & Waste Management
- Consolidated Online Ordering
- Stock Management
- Budget Management
Sustainability & Waste
Pelican is helping NHS trusts to reach their own sustainability targets and pledges including those set by NHS England. Some of the projects where we are currently supporting NHS clients include:
- Achieving Plastic Free Pledge – sourcing alternative products at the best market value, providing data on the financial implications of the switch
- Reducing Food Waste – automated recording and monitoring of food waste
- Gaining ‘Food for Life Served Here’ Accreditation- Pelican are a member of the FFLSH Supplier Scheme, so we can fully support NHS trusts in successfully gaining this award by sourcing products, managing all of the documentation and evidence. You can read Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust case study here.
- Adhering to Public Services Guidelines and Social Value – We provide a professional and public sector compliant tendering service that encourages NHS Trusts to support the Public Services Guidelines and Social Value act, with tendering judged 40% price and 60% quality.
If you need support with any issues or challenges you are currently facing, please call our team 01252 705214 or firstname.lastname@example.org – we are here to help.